Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Free_promo_box_1968_tons_of_sobs_k Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Free_promo_box_1969_free_k Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Free_promo_box_1970_fire_k Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Free_promo_box_1970_highway_k Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Live_obi_k Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker At_last_obi_k Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Heart_obi_k

disc 7 1973 - Heartbreaker (Free Disk Union Promo 7CD Box, Japan, 2002)

Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Heart_obi

Format » FLAC || Size » 402,8 MB || Category » Rock

(Free Disk Union Promo 7CD Box, Japan UICY-9203, 2002)

Free's return in 1972 was scarred by any number of traumas, not least of all the departure of bassist Andy Fraser and the virtual incapacity of guitarist Paul Kossoff -- one-half of the original band, and the lion's share of its spirit as well. But did their erstwhile bandmates let it show? Not a jot. The hastily recruited Tetsu Yamauchi, and vocalist Paul Rodgers himself, filled the breach instrumentally, and probably 50 percent of the ensuing Heartbreaker ranks among Free's finest ever work. Of course, any record that can open with the sheer majesty of "Wishing Well," Rodgers' so-evocative tribute to Kossoff, is immediately going to ascend to the halls of greatness, all the more so since Kossoff himself is in such fine form across both this cut and the next three -- completing side one of the original vinyl, "Come Together in the Morning," "Travellin' in Style," and "Heartbreaker" add up to the band's most convincing sequence of songs since the days of Fire and Water. Further into the disc, two contributions from another new recruit, keyboard player John Bundrick, fall a little flat, a fate they share with the previously unreleased "Hand Me Down/Turn Me Round," one of the 2002 remaster's six bonus tracks. But a pair of solo Rodgers songs, "Easy on My Soul" and "Seven Angels," close the album with as much emotion as it opened on, and one could well argue that, after such a treat, the aforementioned bonus tracks are all but unnecessary, especially as the first few simply offer outtakes, alternates, and B-sides from the sessions themselves. As the CD wraps up, however, two final tracks reveal what happened once the album was completed, peeping into the band's rehearsal room on the eve of their summer tour of Japan to catch "Heartbreaker" and "Easy on My Soul" in such rough but eloquently heavenly form that this most emotionally weighted of Free's albums could demand no deeper coda.

01. Wishing Well (3:43)
02. Come Together In The Morning (4:42)
03. Travelling In Style (4:01)
04. Heartbreaker (6:14)
05. Muddy Water (4:17)
06. Common Mortal Man (4:09)
07. Easy On My Soul (3:46)
08. Seven Angels (5:12)
09. Wishing Well (US Mix) (3:41)
10. Let Me Show You (Single B-side) (3:04)
11. Muddy Water (Alternative Vocal) (4:20)
12. Turn Me Round (Prospective Album track) (3:00)
13. Heartbreaker (Rehearsal Version) (5:43)
14. Easy On My Soul (Rehearsal Version) (8:40)

Free - 2002 - Union Promo Box cd 7 - Heartbreaker Data-logo1

Free - 02 d7 - FL1
Free - 02 d7 - FL2